Patriot Ancestors

Listed here are the ancestors of the members of General William H Lytle Camp #10 who by their sacrifices supported the cause of preserving the union.

Only the approved applications and approved supplemental applications are listed here.

Submit your approved ancestors to the Signals Officer.




Allen Jay Crooker, Patriot Ancestor of Shaun Smith

Cpl-AllenJCrookerAllen Jay Crooker, b Portland ME 16 Jan 1823 son of Isaac & Irena (Coy) Crooker: d South Paris ME 11 Mar 1897: m North Bridgewater MA 19 Apr 1849 Hannah Lenora Millett, b Norway ME 29 Sep 1825, d Paris ME 4 Dec 1884: m2 N Louise Smith, b 6 Jun 1844, d 2 Apr 1929.

Both of Allen’s grandfathers were Patriots in the Revolutionary War, Private Joshua Crooker and Private John Coy.

Isaac Crooker, Allen’s father, was a butcher in Portland, Maine. Isaac died on 3 Apr 1829. This left his mother Irena with the challenge of raising five boys. His mother, Irena (Coy) Crooker married second James Buck of Norway, Maine. Norway, Maine is where Allen spent the majority of his youth. Allen, like many others from Maine, moved to Massachusetts with members of his family to work in the factories.

On the first call for volunteers on 16 Apr 1861, he enlisted in Company D, Fourth Massachusetts Infantry Regiment. He mustered out of this Regiment in the late summer or early fall of 1861 and went into Company G, Second Regiment, District of Columbia Infantry. Allen was appointed Corporal on 20 Nov 1863. He reenlisted on 29 Feb 1864. He was mustered out of service on 12 Sep 1865. After leaving the service he moved back to Paris, Maine and then back to Norway, Maine. He was a member of the Harry Rust G. A. R. Post of Norway.



Major John C Eversole, Patriot Ancestor of Kerry Langdon

JohnCEversole-headstoneMy 2x great grandfather, Major John C Eversole was the Commanding Officer of the Kentucky 14th and the recruiting officer. His home was built by his grandfather, Jacob Eversole.  In the year of 1789 before Kentucky was a state Jacob and Mary Eversole came to the present site of Krypton, Kentucky (now in Perry County).  It was then included in Kentucky County within the state of Virginia.  They built a one room log cabin with a dirt floor.  In 1800 Jacob Eversole added on to their cabin, converting it into a large two story house that featured a “dog trot” in the middle.   The Eversole settlement in 1789 is credited by at least one authority as being the first settlement in the mountains of Eastern Kentucky.

Major John C Eversole’s home served as a recruiting and training camp for the Kentucky 14th Cavalry. The Confederate unit operating in the same area was Ben Caudill’s 13th Kentucky Cavalry, CSA.

In early Oct 1862, during a battle between the KY 13th and 14th, one of those killed was George Washington Noble, who was the recruiting officer for the KY 13th. In retaliation, the 13th KY staged an ambush on the KY 14th at their encampment at Major Eversole’s home. Eversole survived this battle. There were many skirmishes between the 2 units over the next 2 years. Then in March of 1864, Major John and his brother Joseph mustered out and went home. On May 2nd, 1865, John and his brother were again ambushed by a group of the Kentucky 13th who either did not believe they were no longer soldiers or were seeking retaliation. A battle ensued and both John and Joseph were killed. Family lore has it that my gr grandmother, Polly was hanging on to her father’s leg begging him not to go out to fight when a bullet took him down.

Langdons-at-CabinThe Eversole cabin still stands and the holes from the musket balls are readily seen. Interestingly enough, the property is now owned by Denny Ray Noble, Judge Executive of Perry County. His ancestor was George Washington Noble. He has one side of the cabin decorated with a Confederate flag and the other side decorated with a Union flag.




Americus Hedden, Patriot Ancestor of Larry Collins

Americus-HeddenAmericus Hedden was a farmer in Daviess County, Indiana when he enlisted in the 91st Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry of the Union Army on October 1, 1862. He came from a line of people who were willing to take huge risks for what they believed to be right. From the stories that I have heard about Americus, I believe that he joined the Union Army because of his strong personal convictions, probably about the importance of keeping the Union together, but also quite possibly because of his views of slavery in our “free” country.

The 91st Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry was organized as a Battalion of seven Companies at Evansville, Indiana, and mustered in October 1, 1862. Americus left Indiana for Henderson Kentucky with the 91st Infantry on October 10th. He was hospitalized there with a respiratory ailment from December 1862 until April 1863. In June 1863, the 91st left Henderson in pursuit of John Hunt Morgan. Americus spent the remainder of 1863 in Kentucky and Tennessee. In January through May 1864, he served at Cumberland Gap. The 91st began the march that would lead them to Atlanta in May 1864. From June til August 1864, they participated in operations at Marietta, Kenesaw Mountain, Lost Mountain, Muddy Creek, Noyes Creek, Kolb’s Farm, Chattahoochie River, Decatur, Howard House, and the siege of Atlanta. Americus was with them through the beginning of the siege of Atlanta, but on July 25 he was again hospitalized in Knoxville, Tennessee for respiratory problems. He remained hospitalized at Knoxville through October, 1864. In December he was again hospitalized, this time at Chattanooga, Tennessee where he remained until January 1865. He then rejoined the 91st Indiana and participated in operations against General Hoke, the capture of Wilmington, Delaware, the Campaign of the Carolinas, the capture of Goldsboro, the occupation of Raleigh, and the surrender of Johnston and his army. He remained at Raleigh until May 3 and at Salisbury until he mustered out on June 26, 1865.

Service in the Civil War took a severe toll on Americus’ health. He was never able to work his farm following his service. On May 10, 1889, he applied for and received a disability pension due to disease of the respiratory organs, deafness of the left ear, and impaired eyesight as a result of his military service.












David Lewis Stockdale, Patriot Ancestor of David C. Stockdale

David-Lewis-StockdaleDavid Lewis Stockdale was born in 1843 on a farm in Brush Creek Township, Muskingum County, Ohio, the only child of Isaac V. Stockdale and Jane Woodruff Stockdale. On August 15, 1862, he enlisted in the Union Army for three years, and was mustered in September 2nd as a Corporal in Capt. Berkshire’s Company (K) of the 97th Regiment, Ohio Infantry. Except for periods when he was hospitalized or detailed to a hospital, he was with the regiment for the balance of the war.

The regiment entered the field almost immediately, proceeding by rail from Zanesville to Cincinnati and marching across the Ohio on a pontoon bridge to Covington, KY, to assist in opposing the rebel forces then threatening Cincinnati. Later in September the regiment proceeded down the Ohio by steamboat to Louisville, KY, where it became part of the Army of the Cumberland. In October the regiment was engaged in the pursuit of Confederate Gen. Bragg in Kentucky. It was present for the battle of Perryville, but was kept in reserve and did not see action.

From Kentucky, the regiment marched to Nashville, TN. It was part of the advance on Murfreesboro where it was eventually engaged in battle at Stone’s River in December, sustaining its first casualties. The regiment was on duty at Murfreesboro until June, when it moved out as part of the Tullahoma campaign leaving Cpl. Stockdale behind with what was probably dysentery. He was subsequently moved to the Army General Hospital in Nashville.
Stockdale rejoined the 97th later that summer; and in September they were the first regiment to enter Chattanooga, driving rebel sharpshooters from the city and occupying it three hours before the main army arrived. In recognition of its “energy and alacrity” in that regard, Gen. Rosecrans assigned the 97th provost duty in the city. Their provost duty spared them from participation in the disastrous battle of Chickamauga.

The 97th took a prominent part in the movement against Orchard Knob on November 23rd and the storming of Missionary Ridge two days later. Although in the second line of battle when the Missionary Ridge attack commenced, the 97th gained the crest of the ridge near Gen. Bragg’s H.Q. simultaneously with the first line, capturing 150 prisoners, and continued in pursuit of the rebels, dislodging their rear guard from the next ridge to the East. Of its 23 officers and 411 men engaged at Missionary Ridge, the regiment lost 16 men killed, 9 officers and 124 men wounded.

Following Chattanooga, the 97th marched to the relief of Gen. Burnside at Knoxville. It operated in East TN until May, 1864, when it joined Sherman’s Atlanta campaign. It was under fire more than 120 days in that campaign, fighting at Rocky Face Ridge, Resaca, Adairsville (where it lost 20 men in 15 minutes), New Hope Church, Kennesaw Mountain (where it lost 147 members including Stockdale’s company commander, Capt. Berkshire, who was killed in action), Smyrna Camp Grounds, Peach Tree Creek (where the remaining 300 soldiers of the regiment, holding the extreme left flank of the Union forces, withstood seven assaults on their position and won special recognition for its gallantry from Gen. O.O. Howard), the siege of Atlanta, Jonesboro and Lovejoy Station.

In September, following the fall of Atlanta, the regiment engaged in operations against Confederate Gen. Hood in North Georgia and North Alabama. On October 31st, Cpl. Stockdale was hospitalized at Bridgeport, AL, this time suffering from rheumatism, which would trouble him for the rest of his life. During his two month hospitalization, the regiment fought its final battles at Franklin and Nashville. Stockdale rejoined the regiment when it moved to Huntsville, AL for provost duty; and in February he was promoted to Sergeant. For two months in the Spring of 1865, Stockdale was detailed as a ward master at the Army’s General Field Hospital at Bridgeport. In that capacity he was responsible for securing the personal effects of the soldiers who were patients in the hospital. Thereafter he rejoined the regiment at Nashville where it was mustered out June 12, 1865.

Following his discharge, David L. Stockdale returned to his parents’ home in Brush Creek Township, where he resumed farming. In January of 1866 he married Martha Plants and together they had nine children. He was active in the G.A.R., serving at one point as Junior Vice Commander of the Dan Brown Post in Duncan Falls, OH. He retired from farming in 1900 and died in 1908 in Philo, OH, survived by his wife, his three daughters, and three of his sons.